How do I defend a small claim online?

If you have created an account you can use the Online Court to manage your case online.

A small claim is any case where someone says you owe them $10,000 or less (or $20,000 from March 2019).

You can defend the claim if you don't think you owe the money, or you disagree with the amount the other party says you owe them.

To defend a small claim in the Local Court:

  • you need to have an Online registry account, and
  • the case must be listed in one of the Local Court offices below:
    • Albion Park
    • Bankstown
    • Belmont
    • Blacktown
    • Burwood
    • Campbelltown
    • Cessnock
    • Fairfield
    • Gosford
    • Hornsby
    • Katoomba
    • Kiama
    • Liverpool
    • Manly
    • Newtown
    • Newcastle
    • Nowra
    • Parramatta
    • Penrith
    • Picton
    • Port Kembla
    • Raymond Terrace
    • Richmond
    • Sutherland
    • Toronto
    • Waverley
    • Windsor
    • Wollongong
    • Woy Woy
    • Wyong
    • Sydney Civil

If you don't have an account see How to register an Online Registry account

After you have registered an account you can log in to:

  • find your case
  • lodge a defence
  • message the other party and the court
  • upload documents
  • make requests to the court
  • consent to or 'counter' a request

To lodge a defence you can log in, find your case, and then select the form call Defence (UCPR7A/7B). For help see the YouTube Instructional video.

When you have filed the defence you will get an email notifying you that the case is now active in the Online Court.


Helpful links

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in NSW. Call 1300 888 529 for more information or visit LawAccess NSW.


Was this article helpful?