Register as a Legal professional
Steps to register
When you start the registration process, you will need to indicate what type of user you are before entering your details.
Selecting a user-type:
- If you are the lead person on any case in which you are representing a client, select ‘solicitor on the record’, or ‘barrister’.
- If you are an employee in a legal firm, select ‘acting on behalf of a solicitor or barrister’.
Note: If you need to have an account where you could be the ‘solicitor on the record’ or ‘barrister’ for some cases, and ‘acting on behalf of a solicitor or barrister’ for others, you will need to register twice.
Solicitors on the Record and Barristers will require the following information in order to register. Note that you will need to enter your name exactly as shown in your identity documents:
- a valid Practising Certificate Number and the date of admission
- an identification source such as an Australian passport, driver’s licence, Medicare card etc.
If you are a Delegate user acting on behalf of the solicitor on the record, you will not need to provide ID, however the Solicitor on the Record/Barrister is required to add you to their profile before you can start filing form and accessing case information online.
Once you’ve followed the prompts to enter your personal information and created a password including answers to 2 secret questions, you will receive an email containing a verification code.
Your verification code and your username will be sent to you via the email address you have supplied. Please wait at least 30 minutes for this email to arrive. Enter your verification code as shown.
What to do if you don’t receive an email with a verification code
Check your junk mail.
If you do not receive an email with a verification code, have entered the wrong email address, or you return to the Online Registry website Login screen at a later date having deleted the email you were sent, you will need to re-enter your email address and request another verification code before you can complete registration. To do this you will need to:
- Enter your username (contact our support staff who can look this up using your first name and surname, if needed).
- Enter the password you created when you originally completed the first stage of the registration process.
If you have submitted your verification code, enter the user name that was sent to you, and the password you created on the ORW Login page. Your information is confidential and needs to remain secure.
- The first time you log in, you will need to provide us with some identification from the list provided in Step 1. You’ll need at least 2 forms of identification from the list provided in Step 1 before you can proceed.
- If you are logging in as an employee of a solicitor or barrister, you will not be able to proceed further until your employer adds you to their profile.
From the list of documents shown in Step 1, select and upload 2 forms of identification. Your identity will be confirmed by an external provider, Green ID. The verification bar at the top of the screen will confirm the verified percentage of the documents uploaded. Once you have submitted the relevant identification information required, click the Finish button.
If you are a legal professional with a practising certificate number from anywhere other than NSW, you will also need to add your address.
Solicitors and barristers:
Your account will be active and you can begin filing forms and managing your account.
Employees of solicitors and barristers:
Once you have been added to the profile of the solicitor or barrister on whose behalf you will be filing forms, you can begin filing forms and managing your profile.
Once you are logged in, you can administer your own account by adding delegates, re-setting your passwords, secret questions and answers, update your personal contact information, and your payment methods.